Skip to main content

When Your Passport is Worth It

Traveling - Petra Schmidt  / pixelio.de 
Last week I wrote about what can happen when your passport isn't worth much and how as owners of privileged passports - one that lets you travel to lots of countries visa free - we are often blissfully unaware of the troubles people with less travel privileges go through. Today, I want to share a personal story about the other side, about what can happen when your passport is truly worth it. 

Traveling Without a Visa

This happened when I was on my way back to Peru from a trip to Switzerland. In fact, it was the very same trip for which my boyfriend was denied a visa. I was 6 months pregnant and traveling was a bit more strenuous than usual. My AVIANCA flight route led me first from Zurich to London (Heathrow, not a good choice!), from London to Bogota and then onwards to Lima. This is a long journey and can be tough to deal with even when you're not pregnant.

Everything seemed to go well. I checked in in Zurich, boarded my plane, got to Heathrow Airport, found the correct shuttle to get to my terminal (it's a huge airport) and found the correct transfer desk. And then things started to get interesting.

The lady at the counter asked for my return or onward ticket - which I didn't have. So she asked for a proof of my residency in Peru - which I didn't have either. Then she told me that in that case she couldn't check me in for my flights to Colombia and Peru. Not good news, especially when it's late at night and you're anyways almost late for your next flight plus you're pregnant.

Now, I knew that theoretically I needed to provide either proof of residency or proof of a return or onward flight in order to board a flight to Peru. Airlines are required to carry passengers who are denied entry into a country back to where they started their journey. However, the last two times I traveled to Lima nobody asked for such proof - not the airline nor the immigration officer! So, I didn't think there would be too much troubles.

I was at fault and I knew it. Still, it wasn't a pleasant situation to be in. I was already thinking about having to find a hotel to spend the night and then re-organize my onward journey so they'd let me board the next plane. However, the lady at the counter saw my distress and told me to go on to the gate quickly and that she'd phone the gate attendants to update them on my situation. Maybe they'd be able to help me.

As fast as my pregnant self would allow it, I walked to the gate. The attendants were already informed of the situation and explained me that they were already trying to get in touch with the head of the Peruvian immigration at Lima airport to get me special clearance to enter the country and, thus, to board the plane. I remember sitting at the gate, waiting for my clearance while watching everyone else board the plane. They simply couldn't get ahold of the immigration supervisor, they told me. Be patient, they told me. We'll get you on that plane, they told me. Don't worry!

Everyone had already boarded the plane and I was still sitting there at the now empty gate. Then, suddenly the gate manager approached me and told me to quickly board the plane. Everything was fine, I was allowed to travel. I got special permission from immigration in Lima to enter the country without a proof I was going to leave. Only drawback: my luggage wouldn't make the flight and be delivered a bit later to Lima. That was fine be me!

I got to Lima without much troubles and was reunited with my boyfriend. Not much later I regularized my status in Peru and became a legal permanent residence - also to avoid troubles like this in the future!

When I told my husband the whole story he asked me: "Do you think the same thing would have happened to a Peruvian who wanted to travel to Switzerland without a return ticket? Would they have made the effort to get the special permission? Would Swiss immigration have given it?". I didn't know how to respond.

Maybe yes. Probably no.









© 2017 IRENE WYRSCH "A HUMOROUS GUIDE TO SWITZERLAND" ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schätzli, Schnüggel and Müüsli - Terms of Endearment in Swiss German

Kiss -  Oliver Haja  / pixelio.de If you've ever been invited to the home of a Swiss couple, you are probably familiar with the most popular Swiss German term of endearment "Schätzli" ('little treasure') or one of it's many varieties like e.g. "Schatz" or "Schätzeli" . Obviously, this is not the only pet name used by Swiss couples (or parents for that matter). Like many other languages, Swiss German offers a wide variety of words and phrases that you can use to address your loved one. Swiss German Terms of Endearment What most of these pet names have in common is the ending "-li" which basically turns the thing or person a word refers to into something small or cute. For example "Haus" means house and "Hüüs li " means small house. Plus, this ending "-li" can also be added to first names as a means of endearment, e.g. Benjamin li , Esther li or Fabienne li . I tried to come up with a colle

How to Say 'I Love You' in Swiss German

To be completely honest, I'm not very fond of hallmark holidays and Valentine's Day is probably the mothership of them all. In my home there will be no cheesy cards or flowers on that day and, personally, I'm happy about it. However, I know that there are many people who like to celebrate Valentine's Day and take it as an opportunity to show their love and appreciation to their loves. Even in Switzerland, there are plenty of people celebrating it nowadays. If you're short on ideas for this years Valentine's Day in Switzerland you might find some inspiration here: Valentine's Day in Switzerland . If you're already set and have the perfect date ready, how about surprising your loved one with a few romantic Swiss German phrases? You should know that the expression "I love you" has only recently made its way into Swiss German from the High German "Ich liebe dich". Swiss people used to simply say "I like you" or "I like

Panache, a Swiss Mixed Beer

Next to our daily coffee fix , we Swiss really enjoy our ' Feierabendbier '. This literally means 'quitting time beer' and refers to a beer drunk in the after-work hours. Maybe we're not quite like the Irish who are said to go straight to the pub after work but many of us still like to enjoy a good cold beer when we get home. Much like with coffee , where people usually like it either strong or not, there are Swiss people who don't like their beers to be strong. Especially so after a long day of work. This is when we usually opt for a typical Swiss mixed beer called ' Panache '. Panache Beer - KFM  / pixelio.de Mixed beers or beer drinks are a great alternative to 'real' beers. I'm not talking about pre-mixed beer that is sold in supermarkets. Those suck! Good mixed beer is made on the spot with beer and a soft drink, syrup, liquor or other interesting ingredients. The most famous of all Swiss mixed beers is the Panache, pronounce